Sunday, March 28, 2010

Crime.

Ok, since a lot of you assume that you know what I do and how I feel about crime, allow me to make this as clear as possible. I truly hope it doesn't fall on deaf ears, because I'm making an effort to reach out here. Bear with me, it may seem like I'm getting off topic, but trust me when I say it's all related.

Drugs: I don't care about drugs. Drugs are a symptom of the problem. People do drugs because they want an escape from the normality and minutiae of life. Why?

...Because nothing is constant, not many are trustworthy, and generally, it is simply not accepted to fully be yourself in society. Which is a longer point in itself, I have to say. So many things about the self should not be indulged, but what I'm talking about here is the creative, wild spirit. The spirit that is capable of incredible things when encouraged, and terrible things when bottled.

Being bottled (financially, socially, politically, or just generally) is what leads to violence. Violence is what I am attempting to neutralize.

There are some situations I don't even get involved in. Some people are very capable of working things out for themselves, and honestly, some need to be knocked the hell out by a guy that they're visibly oppressing. But I've only ever let those guys get one or two hits in before I stop it.

Most of the time, I find myself neutralizing the situation with diplomacy or distractions. If one asks questions of an angered person about themselves, the angered and often inebriated or otherwise intoxicated person will experience a moment of ego rapture, in which some of their anger will fade and they will engage you in conversation. When they do this, it's best to either include the opponent in the catharsis (but only if he can be unbiased, and in my experience it's surprisingly frequent that they can suddenly turn into wise men) or subtly motion for them to walk away quietly. At this point I will continue the conversation for as long as the angered person needs.

It is not just a ploy, to talk to them. This is part of the issue. I've rarely left a willing-to-talk assailant before they actually felt better. It's just something I've always done. It's half the job.

This has worked for me more times than I can count. Although, there have been other incidents. And I think you know what I mean. Incidents in which it was impossible for any logic, or reason, to cool the situation. In these instances, I have my steel bracers for punches or weapons, simply defensive weapons which is the reason i feel no need to carry anything else. Defending myself is entirely legal.

Bait patrols. A walking person, dressed in expensive clothing and carrying an iPhone or a Blackberry, is deployed into a problem neighborhood (according to up to date stats). A team of trained NY Initiative members shadow them as they roll around, enjoying each other's company and the hunt, until said Bait is attacked by an assailant. NYI then neutralize the attacker as peacefully as possible. According to NY Law (Good Samaritan), this is legal. It is also a really good way to draw out people who might have done this before, or will do it again, and have them put away. Further surveillance on the attacker can often result in more serious offenses being recorded or neutralized.

Although we do not have a vehicle at this time (the subway is too cheap to bother), this also works well with leaving a car unlocked at night. Make sure the car is disabled first, though.

The police that I have been in contact with encourage this. They know who we are, and what we do. We are not vigilantes if we are working in accordance with the law.

But I digress, really.

The real goal of the NYI is going to be providing a better communication network for Help Resources. A lot of organizations form with a sort of idealistic fervor, always thinking that they will be the one that revolutionizes the world... but their hubris (and being so dead-busy with all the paperwork required to run a solid org) blinds them from seeing the truth:

No one organization can ever change things. It's going to take a tactician to organize where and when to utilize which applications (i.e. organizations.) In this way, we can not only provide assistance on the street, but also personal and guaranteed levels of follow up to the people in need.

Whether it be the car thief that goes to jail, and still needs to feed his family. We'll help him.

Or it may be the drug addict that is always *this close* to being clean, if only he had somewhere to go. We'll help him.

...Or. It might be the child molester that might be the next Einstein. If only people would stop turning their backs on him, he might be carrying something that can REALLY change the world.

As much as I might want to, I can't write anyone off. I can't ignore the fact that people need to be redeemed, and nearly everyone in the world CAN be redeemed.

(You could interrupt at this point and say, "Why not just let social services take care of these problems?"

... In which case, I would bite my tongue and try not to call you naive. I'd really try.

The reality is that social services isn't covering everything. Another solid fact is that social services requires money somewhere along the line, and that means that someone has control of that organization. Plain and simple. I'm not interested in being controlled by those kinds of unquantifiable elements. I know what I'm capable of, and I'm incorruptible because i don't make a profit. Trust me. I've been tested on this. Money means nothing to me.

Add to this, social services doesn't actively patrol the streets looking for people to help. We (the NYI) have a member who is, as I write, in class to be an EMT. So we will have a field medic with the next two months or so.

I myself have begun the process of applying to the NYPD, for the training. Whether or not I decide to become a police officer when the training is complete, remains to be seen. It's entirely possible.)

Again, digressing. Back to the subject of good/evil, and the grey areas, this is why the majority of RLSH don't work. They are part of an idea that puts bad people in that category for life. All they want to do is bash the baddies and look good doing it. I can't hang with that kind of mentality.

I also can't hang with how fresh-faced and virtually untrained they are. They look at it as a weekend warrior kind of thing, reserved for weekly jaunts about their suburban neighborhood. The NYI lives in one of the most dangerous neighborhoods in Brooklyn. East New York is as specific as I'll get, but those who know me know why I moved here. I could have lived in Williamsburg, or North Bushwick, or maybe the East Village.

I didn't. I chose this place so that I could never forget, and my patrol is every day of my life. I am a lifer.

Let me say that another way: I have chosen to make this my entire life, either until I die or until I find someone both more passionate about it and more innovative with its execution. And my goal is to use underground media and word of mouth to spread the idea of accountability, vigilance, and real, human justice (not violent, vigilante justice) to the human race like a fucking virus. My hope is that on the way there, I can replace myself as the organizer of the NYI before I'm 50.

If i could live in a place like San Diego, Cali, working on movie sets and costuming, drinking 10 dollar cocktails at ridiculously-themed bars, I'd be there (God forbid, lol). I have the tools to get there, but I never felt the push to be comfortable like that. I need to be in the worst parts of the world, Southern PA, Detroit, East New York, and wherever's next. I need to because I think I have a plan, and I want to make sure I never forget the reality.

I just want to make sure I never forget what I am.

-Z

13 comments:

  1. Though it may work from time to time, entrapment (or 'bait patrolling', as you called it) is some sneaky shit that the police use to their crooked advantage far too often. Of course, it normally only works on dumbasses seeing as so many of these cops are either terrible actors or seem to have a stereotypical view on criminals as a whole.

    Seeing as the usual RLSH member doesn't seem to understand what a 'criminal' really is, the idea of using this on patrols is a terribly bad idea that should be left to the folks with government/tax-dollar funding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For EMT, is NY a NREMT state? I hear the NREMT-B exam is a nightmare...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Again, you don't use your head. I figured it would be you.
    Entrapment is when you offer to include a target in a crime already in progress. This is called a sting, like when a female officer nabs people under pretense of being a hooker. Basically we are following a friend as he or she walks around at night. It's more like body guarding than anything else. If you think that a person walking around at night wearing expensive shit is entrapment, I pity you if you ever actually end up in court. You'll probably tell the judge that whatever the cops caught you doing was circumstantial evidence. Seriously, read a fucking book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Entrapment is a police officer or one of their agents inducing another person to commit a crime in order to bring charges for committing that crime, despite the fact that it was artificially provoked. Having a cop walk down the street with an iPhone and some expensive bling in the hopes that someone will try to mug him isn't a crime because you’re not really inciting a criminal to commit the crime. However, if there was another cop who was undercover as a criminal’s “home boy” who was encouraging the criminal to mug another undercover cop who was blinged out, then that would be entrapment. Sting operations don’t really qualify as entrapment because no one is manipulating the criminals to commit the crimes, even in situations where the police officer is posing as a drug dealer or as a prostitute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pfft. San Diego? Movie sets? Ten-dollar cocktails? I hate to break it to you, but that's LA.
    I live in San Diego and I've never once seen that sort of behavior here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, you're right. Just throwing ideas out. I wouldn't be caught dead in a themed bar anyway. Just an example.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Z,

    As a villain, one thinks the honeypot gambit works, until the underworld compares notes. It wouldn't take much to turn the tables on your group. Be carful.

    It IS good thinking though. All the crime on the street - where the crimes are commited, are always symptoms of larger problems. Social Services cannot, and never has or will, be able to stretch thin enough to cover all the gaps. Funny story - the Mafia, (respect for all the work they do) was started as a social services system for people who were caught in gaps. If you try and climb the tree of problems, and look for sources, what answers do you find?

    There is a thought, that there are people known as psychopaths - not murderers, just people w/a limited sense of empathy. These people tend to do well in business - they aren't held back from being harsh in order to succeed. It might be evolution, and (from a Villains standpoint) it might represent a competitive adaptation that allows these people ("Homo Malignus") to thrive.

    Could it be that Heroes are the simple Neanderthals, and Villains are the Cro-magnons with fire? Perhaps as dwindling resources beset the world, it will be Homo Malignus that will inherit the Earth.

    -Lord Malignance

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, you raise a point that I debate with myself all the time; should i continue to do this, or am I just delaying the inevitable decrescendo of the entire human race?

    On one hand, I do believe in entropy, and I am definitely not deluded enough to think that human civilization is immune to it... but I also think that humans, as a race, have always prospered the most when they have been faced with a seemingly insurmountable challenge. To me, that challenge in this case is De-Evolution (which of course, by definition is an idiosyncrasy). So the Heroes are the ones evolving. Between brutality and compassion, compassion will always be the more evolved trait of the human race.

    Humans giving in to their baser instincts and becoming animals, only interested in their very physical short term goals... comfort, money, sex, violent release... to me, this is easy. It requires no challenge to behave this way. Therefore it cannot be evolution. It can only be regression.

    I myself have sociopathic tendencies, as Tothian likes to use against me over and over. I have no qualms with confrontations, and even if a person is my good friend I will completely deconstruct their actions if they're acting like a fool. Tothian was a friend. I don't play favorites.

    That's why I don't ever accept the "but I'm a psychopath, i can't help it" bullshit. I fight with this everyday, and I win. I make myself go out all the time and I put myself in situations that are not fun, because I want to believe. I want to believe in the human race, and I'm making myself believe in me first.

    And that's why I'd never call myself a hero, amongst other reasons. It's a two dimensional, completely fabricated facade. No one is that sure of the fate of justice, but it's that faith in making the world better for the next 15 seconds that gets us in the game. You're right, maybe we are stupid.

    I don't care. It's better than watching it all burn. My meals feel earned, and my personal victories aren't empty. I am a man consumed, and that fire extends itself to all ends of my life.

    Hope that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't blame me for my stupidity, blame the crack.

    Also, fantastic debate I see brewing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Z,

    Good points - and that's as a matter of perspective. One doesn't see Homo Malignus as evidence of entropic de-evolution, one embraces the changes as Darwin's Vision. The strong WILL survive, and the weak MUST perish. It is nature's design, running behind the illusions of laws and civilization.

    One forces the order of Logic and Science on all the world, yet is not unaware that Life IS chaos, and unpredictable. War is Gaia's timebomb, built undeniably into the DNA of humanity. Indolent Apex Preditors, with the built in need for conflict. Who to test themselves against, but themselves? Who will survive? Homo Malignus.

    Villainy IS the natural course: one only uses the label "Villain", and ties it to an obvious truth.

    -Lord Malignance
    And isn't THAT the scariest truth?
    Humpf - and some call one a Comedy LARPer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You adhere to Darwin's Vision as if it's the sole universal truth. But the human race has been proving nature wrong for thousands of years. The human race is unpredictable and resists even it's own coding for survival; thus, suicide.

    How can you not see that this factor can spread in a positive way? That after these thousands of years, we finally get tired of natures push and level the playing field a little? Awareness can do a lot for evolution, let me tell you.

    Furthermore, who is to say that we have to be weak to show compassion? I believe One mistakes kindness for weakness.

    I also believe that One has a vision of self-centered dickheads being stronger than compassionate people. That is also a mistake that I have come in contact with. It is easily and quickly dispelled.

    This is another matter entirely, though. The matter being that the reason that I am perfect for this job is that I am as much a monster as a humanitarian, and am able to go just as far as the full-on monster can to protect myself and others.

    You see, you may be entirely right. But that doesn't mean that you will always be right. Such is the nature of truth.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have to wholeheartedly agree with Z. He is right in so many of his viewpoints that I must appluad him. The problem with the world truly is apathy. We allow ourselves to feel that we cannot change the world, we allow ourselves to sit back and think that we are inherently bad. It is so easy to do wrong and so hard to do right, because we allow it. If good was part of the structure we are raised in, and helping others is what we are encouraged to do as a child instead of earning money and pursuing our own greedy, lustful and violent desires the world would be better off. We are so persistant in stating that we are inclined that way, the path of destruction, but in reality it is only because we dont feel like changing that. We as a whole do not want to make that change, we are content living in this filth that we know as life. Z, you are a singular voice or logic and reasoning among all those out there trying to help through alternative means, and you are a perfect example for them to follow.

    And Malvado by saying its bc of the crack is again part of the problem, accept responsibility for yourself, regardless if a joke or not. The fact that you did not educate yourself on the topic and then contribute, shows the lazy attitude that continues in our world.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This was informative. Thanks for posting it.

    ReplyDelete